A weekly log on my life and personal growth
W42 (10/07 - 10/13)
- Attend Speaker Labs. In addition to the public speaking skills, there is one takeaway particularly for me
- No matter how much effort I put into ignoring other people’s opinion, I should admit, I do care. That’s one source of truth which makes me anxious, uncomfortable and not happy.
- It’s not wrong to care about other people’s opinions, which is exactly how we gain effective feedback from the world. However, the most difficult part is to show yourself to the world, be exposed, be vulnerable, and make the first step.
- Start reading The Power of Now
- An exercise: Take any routine activity that normally is only a means to an end and give it your fullest attention, so that it becomes an end in itself. For example, every time you walk up and down the stairs in your house or place of work, pay close attention to every step, every movement, even your breathing. Be totally present.
- 周末把赵四和 Nikki 送走，跟喜福和爸妈开启一周的加东之旅。周末在 Kingston，没人的湖滨小镇，欣赏秋色。
W41 (09/30 - 10/06)
- 这周的主题是每天陪爸妈大吃大喝，逮着好天气就去公园和 Trail 遛狗散步。跟喜福一起订了下下周出行的路线和酒店，非常期待。周末一起来公司打乒乓，没想到俩人竟然对这玩意感兴趣
W40 (09/23 - 09/29)
W39 (09/16 - 09/22)
- 周末一起带狗子去 Waterloo Park 转了一圈，其实也只公园一角。每天在家风风火火巡天入地，来了大草原就咩咩找妈妈。开玩笑，狗子请起，来嗨！
- Podcasts sharing
W38 (09/09 - 09/15)
- 周二告别了魏哥，Amy 和 Molly，虽然早有准备，但还是会觉着生活断了根线。有缘再见啦！
- Go to St. Louis for StrangeLoop 2019. There are three talks that I really like
- How to teach programming (and other things) - Felienne Hermans It brings up an interesting idea that people prefer “exploration and self-taught” over “explanation and exercise” only in computer science, which worths us a second thoughts.
- Towards an open and Reason(ML)able web - Parker Ziegler Great intro to ReasonML. I’ve got more interest in OCaml now.
- Parser Parser Combinators for Program Transformation” by Rijnard van Tonder Try this fancy tool for program transformation comby.live
- 去参加这个会议的私心在于能跟表格团聚。四年半不见，还是一如既往的舒服。最后一晚在 Bailey’s Range 喝的飞起，开心。
W37 (09/02 - 09/08)
- Finish rustlings and start reading Too Many Lists.
- Teach Nikki the second command, “d-o-w-n”.
- 看了很多精彩比赛，男篮世界杯，F1 蒙扎，美网。印象最深的还是我国面对逆波兰了，疼啊疼。
W36 (08/26 - 09/01)
- Get a basic idea on how MRuby works. Such a fun experience.
- Read a chapter of Super Thinking on decision making. I love the reasoning about disadvantages of pro-con list, that the cost-benefit analysis comes into play. One new thing I learnt is the Le Chatelier’s principle, aka The Equilibrium Law or homeostasis, which roughly means “system always kicks back (in some situation)”. Neat.
- 超级开心喜福一次就通过了路试，终于结束我们互相看不顺眼的学车之旅了 🎉
- 这个 Labour Day 长周末主要是看比赛和伺候狗子。Nikki is our brand new $2000 alarm, organic. 六点半的阳光，总能带给我希望，砥砺前行 😐
W35 (08/19 - 08/25)
- 这周的工作，一天团建，三天 Hackday，以组织的名义认真划水。
- 爸妈的签证第三次申请，几近曲折，竟然有发了递签信又收回的时候，这周终于过了 ✅
W34 (08/12 - 08/18)
- Work-wise, catch up after vacation and start looking into how Artichoke works, which is a project on compiling mruby into Web Assembly. After reading the Go book and Rust book, finally, I start coding in C 😇
- Pick up our new home member, Nikki, who is a puppy girl of English type golden retriever.
W32-33 (07/29 - 08/11) Vacation
虽然旅途是 7.31（周三）出发，但是因为周一周二公司年会，我懒得飞来飞去选了远程参加，所以实际上，我之前的周末就开始放飞自我了。擦擦 PS 的灰，买了 Fifa19 和 Call of Duty: WWII；和朋友玩 VR，吃日料，玩牌，逛公园；跟喜福吃火锅看综艺；开始读 Good Math 和人性的枷锁。好久没这么轻松了。最直接的感受是，这几天早上可以神清气爽自然醒，让我怀疑是不是脑子放下了工作就少去了紧张和压力。周二收拾行李，把赵四送走，开始旅程。
- 7.31 - 抵达温哥华。午餐 Marutama 拉面，入住 Airbnb，到附近的 Jericho Beach 闲逛。晚上 Gyukaku 烤肉，到 Lighthouse Park 徒步，赶到海边发现太阳已经下山。
- 8.1 - 早餐 JJ Bean，到 Tsawwassen 轮渡去 Victoria。下午 Buchart Garden，Fishhook 午餐，然后 Downtown 闲逛。晚上回来已经夜里，在宽窄巷子串串烧烤小龙虾。
- 8.2 - A&W 早餐，在家 Mario Party。中午 Lynn Canyon 徒步，然后 English Bay, Stanley Park 骑行。晚上海鲜大餐。
- 8.3 - 中午郝记羊肉，然后 Flyover Canada，Gastown。晚上 Kokoro 日本拉面，然后在 Granville Island 看了烟花。
- 8.4 - 早起飞去卡尔加里，中午在 OMO 日本铁板烧，开去班芙。Airbnb 超级赞，下午去 Banff Gondola，上去第一眼有点惊到我了。幅员辽阔，心旷神怡。晚上在 The Park 西餐。
- 8.5 - Lake Louise 划船，应该是本次行程我个人眼里的高光了，像是划进了画一样。之后是梦莲湖。晚上在家 BBQ，德州。
- 8.6 - 中午在 Tavern Pizza，然后 Fairmont 酒店下午茶，之后是 Emerald Lake。晚上回来去 High Roller 打了保龄，之后部队火锅，继续德州。
- 8.7 - 早餐 Wild Flouver，之后开到 Peyto Lake 徒步，欣赏景色。一路美景开到 Columbia Icefield，体验 Anthabasca 冰川。晚上麦当劳，收拾行李，打牌。
- 8.8 - 告别班芙，开回卡尔加里。逛了 Costco，在 Popeye 吃午餐。早早到机场，在候机口德州。五点飞回温哥华，晚上正宗小郡肝串串香。
- 8.9 - 中午 Marutama 拉面，然后到渔人码头，离港观鲸。一路颠簸，好在看到了很多 Orca 和傻呵呵的海狮。回程路上听到了司机 Trevor 的传奇故事，买了他的 Natural Hy。晚上海鲜加部队火锅，最后一次德州。
- 8.10 - 早餐 JJ Bean，十一点半拥抱，散伙。我和喜福飞机延误，十一点才飞回多伦多。
- 8.11 - 和大舅视频，看了英超第一轮曼联 4:0 切尔西。下午出门和 Amy 魏哥午餐，接赵四和三哥回家。一起看乐队夏天最后一集。晚上和老妈视频，给大家算本次行程开销。
W31 (07/22 - 07/28)
- Good working week, by putting my most focus on wrapping up work before my two weeks vacation 😍 We made a few great improvements over our DDD-ish Rails app.
- Watch Amelie again at Princess Original, still fascinated by its unrestrained delight.
- Start of my vacation with Fifa 19 and Call of Duty WWII
W30 (07/15 - 07/21)
- Finish reading WebAssembly 标准入门, a good intro for WASM spec.
- Go to Leslie Ting’s Speculation at Stratford with friends. I enjoy the 4′33 part, which brings me to a meditation state.
- Enjoy the nice weekend with strawberry picking and VR playing.
W29 (07/08 - 07/14)
- Re-read Programming WebAssembly with Rust. After getting to know Rust and having a general idea about WebAssembly, it makes much more sense to me now, especially that I follow the code exercise to write some raw wat this time ifyouseewendy/wasm-rust-playground
- Have a talk with Syrus, which definitely makes me believe recording this weekly log is worthwhile. I’m glad that we build up a connection with the wasmer team.
- Play a co-op PS game A Way Out with Jasmine, which is pretty fun.
- Watch Shaun of the Dead on the big screen at Princess Original 😍. This might be my 8th time watching it. Once every year.
- Watch the sensational final between Djokovic and Federer at Wimbledon. Such a weird game that Federer outplayed Djokovic at every metric on statistics, but lost due to few big points.
- Ride to the company using my 🚲!!! (second time since I bought it three months ago, good job)
W28 (07/01 - 07/07)
- Finish reading The Rust Programming Language. I cannot say I fully understand ownership and lifetime, but I think I’ve grasped the idea of it. Looking forward to jumping into the wild world.
- I like this article Classes vs. Data Structures by Uncle Bob articulating the subtle difference between these two. I figured this idea out when learning Haskell out last year, which gives me another orthogonal thinking against OO in terms of data and operation. In short, “An Object is a set of functions that operate upon implied data elements. A Data Structure is a set of data elements operated upon by implied functions”.
- Remember the smile of Brad
W27 (06/24 - 06/30)
- Read an hour The Rust Programming Language everyday through chapter 15. I’ll finish next week, but I need more practice.
- Keep implementing https://github.com/kanaka/mal. I’m at Step 3 now.
- Finish watching Formula 1: Drive to Survive. Such exciting documentary over the F1 2018 season. It shows me another angle to think about the game, especially for the racers struggling on the edge. The problem they are trying to solve is interesting, how to improve from top 15 to top 10. We also watched the Austrian Grand Prix. Such a crazy win for Max Verstappen.
- Trail at Shade’s Mills Conservation Area
W26 (06/17 - 06/23)
- Keep my read over The Rust Programming Language, with practice at work.
- Start playing around https://github.com/kanaka/mal, which is a practice for using different language to implement a simple Lisp. I’m working on the Ruby version now, then I’ll try the Rust one.
- Finish the fourth and fifth chapter of Quiet
- Celebrate our first 💒 anniversary, taking a photo in the morning, having lunch at Watami, and going hiking with friends at Knutz Park.
- Set up our BBQ grill, and have a perfect night
W25 (06/10 - 06/16)
- Restart reading through The Rust Programming Language. Some ideas start to make more sense to me after the recent Go learning, eg slice, rune and reference.
- Watch Raptors winning the title with Jasmine and David at Apollo. This might be the season I watch the most games. Such an intense journey. Besides that, finally, Sarri joined Juventus 😳 and AD joined Lakers 😊
- After two months searching, we finally found a favourite breeder and sent the deposit for having a female English type Golden Retriever at mid Aug. Excited.
- Submit the third round of application for my parents’ visitor VISA 🤞
W24 (06/03 - 06/09)
- Keep reading The Go Programming Language and finish first half of the book (Chapter 7 Interface)
- Naval - How to Get Rich This is another podcast I enjoy a lot, which is not mainly about finance, but different thoughts and angles to see the world.
- Finish the show Chernobyl, a cold dark reality mixing with special politic circumstance. I can definitely not sense the similarity with my dear god country.
- Enjoy the French Open semi-final, at which Djokovic lost to Thiem by 5:7 at the fifth set. Sad.
- Have a great trip to African Lion Safari at the weekend. Simba is truly a big cat.
W23 (05/27 - 06/02)
- Work wise, I feel pretty good on spending one hour reading in the morning everyday. After reading through ¼ of Domain Driven Rails, (which is a pretty good book, taking Rails as example to talk about DDD), I make it a pause consciously as I need more experience (or mistakes) to digest better. To put it into practice, I start building our new service using Hanami, which I’ve got a pretty positive feeling for being our DDD choice. Other than that, finish reading the first two chapters of GOPL.
- I really enjoy this episode of Tim Ferris Show that I listened twice. Ramit Sethi — Automating Finances, Negotiating Prenups, Disagreeing with Tim, and More (#371)
- After two months learning and researching, I finally set up my FIRE account on May 29th, 2019 🎉
- Such a relief after visiting Nadine and Casey.
- The best weekend this year, for pushing trivial stuff forward proactively, reading books, watching sports (Liverpool 2:0 Tottenham Hotspur, Raptors 1:1 Warriors), having hotpot, watching shows, enjoying the great weather, and wasting time together with Jasmine. Everything is perfect.
W22 (05/20 - 05/26)
- Finish reading Domain-driven Design Quick last week and concluded some notes here. It makes a lot of sense to me on connecting the dots I’ve collected over time. The book is also a great one as an intro which helps me grash the main idea of DDD. The next step is to gain more insight in practice.
- GoT 潦草终结，没等到我的夜王反推大陆，难过。看完了一拳超人，超级喜欢，见识了终极大招：Consecutive Normal Punch!
- Finally, what makes my week?
W21 (05/13 - 05/19)
- Keep my reading on Quiet
W20 (05/06 - 05/12)
- Such a busy week, for being on call at work. I didn’t have much energy on pushing personal growth stuff. However, it’s been a fantastic week for various sports games.
W19 (04/29 - 05-05)
- Research on a few candidates on portfolios and start building My portfolio
- Visit Stratford to enjoy spring and celebrate Jasmine’s birthday
W18 (04/22 - 04/28)
- Start reading Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking
- Being an introvert has been a bittersweet journey for me. Hope this book could help know myself better. (Recommended by Mitch)
- Start taking an online course on economics
- 薛兆丰的经济学课。作为 financial learning 的后续，本来已经开始读 Value Investing，但是发现好多普遍又根本的问题更吸引我。
- Watch 风中有朵雨做的云
- Get my 🚲
W17 (04/15 - 04/21)
- Finish the first draft of my financial planning and investment
- Have a trip to Detroit with Jasmine
- MOCA, DIA, Pistons vs Bucks game, Belle Isle
W16 (04/08 - 04/12)
- Listen to Wasmer is taking WebAssembly beyond the browser
- Surprisingly find and listen to this new released podcast, which happens to match exactly with what we are working on.
- Finish reading The Value of Simple
- A great to book to start one’s personal finance adventure, especially for Canadians. It’s to be noted that the author also provides a list of tools and book guides, which is super helpful.
- Start my first Monthly Expense review
- Research on Pay back mortgage or invest in bond? and discuss with friends
- House work to welcome spring
W15 (04/01 - 04/05)
- Lost the basketball game in semi-final
- 继去年在半决赛一分惜败后，这次输了两分 😥
- Watch Persona
- 看过之后非常困惑，整个过程就是慢慢跟不上导演的节奏。即便如此，很多画面深刻地印在了我的脑海，回来的路上一直不断地回放。在豆瓣上看到了这篇影评我很赞同，基本上解释了我所有的疑问。即使单纯作为一遍散文来读，也是很有收获，Persona (假面)：沉默的假面
- Finish reading Wealthing Like Rabbits
- It’s a good start for my personal financial learning. The examples in the book are really persuasive, which I appreciate the most. However, I don’t really agree with the saving part. I understand the fact that we should figure out what we truly need or what the money could buy us indeed, but what I infer from the part is kinda what the author tries to avoid, which is to sacrifice your living quality for future. Especially, to ask for used baby clothes from a friend implicitly sounds manipulative to me.
- Finish the second chapter of Writing An Interpreter In Go for parsing techniques
- Skim over the Programming WebAssembly with Rust.
- It’s an ok book that I put my main focus on WebAssembly even though half of the book are examples for using Rust to write WA modules. It gives me some context knowledge of WA, like how it’s developed over time and how it gets used inside and outside of the browser.